Wednesday, May 6, 2015

TO THE SWEET BY & BY ... MOTHERS DAY

5-6-15    HI MOM ...
As you well know, I haven't made it yet. Yep ... I AM still around down here and I have kept my promise that I made to you when you passed over about all the future MOTHER DAYS! As I have stated before, there is seldom a day that goes by that I don't have some sort of memory that deals with you! But thinking about you and remembering YOU are  two different aspects of my recollections about LOVING YOU, as I remember you best of all when you were still here. Like ... when I was about three or four years old and pronounced that I was going to school with you in San Antonio  instead of staying with my grandparents. We both cried our eyes out having to part at that time. Like ... when I lost the pocket knife you had given to me and told me to put it up before it got lost but I didn't and it did and I tore the farm lawn upside down with tears running down my cheeks saying "I wish I'd manded, I wish I'd minded." Then remember there was the conniption fit  I threw when you told me you were going to marry Irvin 'cause I wanted my real dad back ... and then proceeded to LOVE Irvin more than I thought possible. Then there were the times you'd play the piano with me standing beside you singing "HOW GREAT THOU ART" for everyone clustered around. Then hearing you sing solos around Christmas Time at the First Baptist Church in Alice, Texas with "JERUSALEM HARK HOW THE ANGELS SING." And remember Mom, how scared you were when you were attempting to teach me to drive at age 14? Then there was the time you gave me the family grocery money to make a trip to Galveston to be able to sing in the All State Choir right after Irvin's death fall. I swear, I don't know how you were able to put things together the way you did during those situations and hardships, but you did! And then there was Doug. maybe that was a blessing in disguise, but it was a big disguise to me, and off to Rice I went. There was that situation where my room mate and I hopped a gravel and sand train to Laredo so we could practice broad jumping in the sand as the box car was rolling forward behind the engine and it did not make its usual water stop in Ben Bolt where a car of friends were waiting for us to emerge. I had to phone you to come pick us up and you refused. The belt whipping was frustrating Mom because we had not gone across the border into Boys Town as you had assumed.
As you know, I have moved another time now to Wimberley and wish I could have you and your grandsons all here together. You never had a chance to meet Heath and I look forward to the dimension where you can meet him as well
Well, later Mom. I LOVE YOU IN THE LIGHT!
Your Son,
DAN

No comments:

Post a Comment